Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Sprit World: Teachings of Joseph Smith

Spirit World

1 "If the Mormon doctrine is true, what has become of all those who died since the days of the Apostles?"

All those who have not had an opportunity of hearing the Gospel, and being administered unto by an inspired man in the flesh, must have it hereafter, before they can be finally judged. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 Vols. 3:29)

2 Words of Benjamin F. Johnson: Then with a deep-drawn breath, as a sigh of weariness, he sank down heavily in his chair, and said, "Oh! I am so tired—so tired that I often feel to long for my day of rest. For what has there been in this life but tribulation for me? From a boy I have been persecuted by my enemies, and now even my friends are beginning to join with them, to hate and persecute me! Why should I not wish for my time of rest?"

His words and tone thrilled and shocked me, and like an arrow pierced my hopes that he would long remain with us. I said, as with a heart full of tears, "Oh! Joseph, what could we, as a people, do without you and what would become of the great latter-day work if you should leave us?"

He was touched by my emotions, and in reply he said, "Benjamin, I would not be far away from you, and if on the other side of the veil I would still be working with you, and with a power greatly increased, to roll on this kingdom." (Hyrum L. Andrus and Helen Mae Andrus, comps., They Knew the Prophet, p. 97)

I will say something about the spirits in prison. There has been much said by modern divines about the words of Jesus (when on the cross) to the thief, saying, "This day shalt thou be with me in paradise." King James' translators make it out to say paradise. But what is paradise? It is a modern word: it does not answer at all to the original word that Jesus made use of. Find the original of the word paradise. You may as easily find a needle in a haymow. Here is a chance for battle, ye learned men. There is nothing in the original word in Greek from which this was taken that signifies paradise; but it was—This day thou shalt be with me in the world of spirits: then I will teach you all about it and answer your inquiries. And Peter says he went and preached to the world of spirits (spirits in prison, I Peter, 3rd chap., 19th verse), so that they who would receive it could have it answered by proxy by those who live on the earth, etc. . . .

I will criticise a little further. There has been much said about the word hell, and the sectarian world have preached much about it, describing it to be a burning lake of fire and brimstone. But what is hell? It is another modern term, and is taken from hades. I'll hunt after hades as Pat did for the woodchuck.

Hades, the Greek, or Shaole, the Hebrew: these two significations mean a world of spirits. Hades, Shaole, paradise, spirits in prison, are all one: it is a world of spirits.

The righteous and the wicked all go to the same world of spirits until the resurrection. "I do not think so," says one. If you will go to any house any time, I will take my lexicon and prove it to you.

The great misery of departed spirits in the world of spirits, where they go after death, is to know that they have come short of the glory that others enjoy and that they might have enjoyed themselves, and they are their own accusers. "But," says one, "I believe in one universal heaven and hell, where all go, and are all alike, and equally miserable or equally happy."

What! where all are huddled together—the honorable, virtuous, and murderers, and whoremongers, when it is written that they shall be judged according to the deeds done in the body? But St. Paul informs us of three glories and three heavens. He knew a man that was caught up to the third heavens. Now, if the doctrine of the sectarian world, that there is but one heaven, is true, Paul, what do you tell that lie for, and say there are three? Jesus said unto His disciples, "In my Father's house are many mansions, if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you, and I will come and receive you to myself, that where I am ye may be also." (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 Vols. 5:424-26)

4 Now, all those [who] die in the faith go to the prison of spirits to preach to the dead in body, but they are alive in the spirit; and those spirits preach to the spirits that they may live according to God in the spirit, and men do minister for them in the flesh; and angels bear the glad tidings to the spirits, and they are made happy by these means. (Joseph Smith, The Words of Joseph Smith, p. 370; standardized)

P5 Words of William Taylor: He [Joseph Smith] seemed to be just as familiar with the spirit world, and as well acquainted with the other side, as he was with this world. (Hyrum L. Andrus and Helen Mae Andrus, comps., They Knew the Prophet, p. 161)

6 Words of Lucy Walker Kimball: He [Joseph Smith] anticipated great joy in meeting his parents and friends beyond the grave. He believed that as soon as the spirit left the body we were shaking hands with and greeting our friends. (Hyrum L. Andrus and Helen Mae Andrus, comps., They Knew the Prophet, p. 139)

Footnotes

1981. Answers to questions frequently asked the Prophet, Far West, 8 May 1838.

1982. Letter of Benjamin F. Johnson to George S. Gibbs, 1903. The conversation described may have occurred in March 1843.

1983. Sabbath address, Nauvoo, 11 June 1843.

1984. Sabbath address, Nauvoo, 12 May 1844, as reported by George Laub.

1985. Recollection of William Taylor, published in the Young Woman's Journal, December 1906.

1986. Recollection of Lucy Walker Kimball, published in the Woman's Exponent, November 1910.

No comments: